about.bnef.com | 25 August 2014 | Nathaniel Bullard |
1. BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THIS WHITE PAPER
2. INSTRUMENTS ADDRESSING DIVESTMENT
3. FOSSIL FUELS AND INVESTOR IMPERATIVES
4. KEY INVESTORS IN OIL & GAS AND COAL
5. CLEAN ENERGY INVESTMENT OPTIONS
6. INVESTMENT IN OTHER SECTORS
7. DIVESTMENT IS A CHALLENGE AND AN OPPORTUNITY
Oil & gas and coal companies form one of the world’s largest asset classes, worth nearly $5trn at current stock market values. In the past two years, dozens of public and private institutions have announced plans to divest fossil fuels from their portfolios – a movement one executive described as “one of the fastest-moving debates I think I’ve seen in my 30 years in markets”.
Fossil fuels are investor favourites for a reason. Few sectors offer the scale, liquidity, growth, and yield of these century-old businesses vital to today’s economy. This White Paper explores the motivations behind fossil fuel divestment, the scale of existing fossil fuel investments, and potential alternatives for investment re-allocated from oil, gas, and coal stocks.